(* all materials by Julian Worrall, unless otherwise noted)
- 21st Century Tokyo – A Guide to Contemporary Architecture. Co-authored with Erez Golani-Solomon. Tokyo: Kodansha International, 2010.
EDITED BOOK CHAPTERS
- “Chim↑Pom’s Spatial Tactics: An Art of Public Space”. [English and Japanese]In Super Rat. Edited by Kenichi Abe. Tokyo: Parco Publishing, 2012
- “Base and Superstructure in Toyo Ito”. In Toyo Ito: Forces of Nature. Kenneth Stone Kassler Memorial Lecture Series. Edited by Jessie Turnbull and Stan Allen. New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2012. 120-131.
- “High Resolution Urbanism: Scalar Diversity at Kichijoji”. In Small Tokyo. Edited by Darko Radović and Davisi Boontharm, Tokyo: IKI and flick studio, 2012. 80-87.
- “The Significance of Sou Fujimoto.” In Sou Fujimoto. 2G, no. 50. Barcelona: Editorial Gustavo Gili, 2009. 10-23.
- “Flagship Store”. In Skulptur Projekte Münster 07 Catalogue. [German and English] Edited by Kaspar König and Brigitte Franzen. Münster: Westfälisches Landesmuseum für Kunst und Kulturgeschichte. 2007.
- “Opening the Question: Reading the Contemporary Japanese City.” In Re[A]D: Medium for Exposing the Culture of Architecture. Edited by Faculty of the Building Environment, University of New South Wales. Sydney: UNSW Press, 2003. 126-130.
- Metabolism, the City of the Future. [Japanese title:メタボリズムの未来都市 (“Metaborizumu no mirai toshi”)]. Exhibition Catalogue. Tokyo: Mori Art Museum, December 2011.
- Yoshiji Takehara: Residential Architecture. [Japanese title:竹原義二の住宅建築 “Takehara Yoshiji no Jutaku Kenchiku”]. Yoshiji Takehara, Terunobu Fujimori, Yoshiaki Hanada. Tokyo: TOTO Gallery Ma, April 2010.
- Le Corbusier Art and Architecture – A Life of Creativity. Exhibition catalogue. Tokyo: Mori Art Museum, October 2007.
- Bow-wow from Post-Bubble City. Tsukamoto, Yoshiharu and Momoyo Kaijima (Atelier Bow-wow). INAX Publishing, March 2006.
- Kunio Mayekawa Retrospective. Exhibition Catalogue. Tokyo: Tokyo Station Gallery, December 2005.
- Railway Urbanism: Commuter Rail and The Production of Public Space in Twentieth Century Tokyo. PhD Dissertation, Tokyo: Department of Architecture, University of Tokyo, 2005
- Outsider Trading – Engaging the Cross-cultural Problematic in Australian Architectural Education. Honours Thesis, BArch(Hons). Adelaide: Department of Architecture, University of Adelaide, 1996.
- Faraway: Japan in Western Architectural Discourse, 1886-1992. Honours Thesis, BArchStud(Hons). Adelaide: Department of Architecture, University of Adelaide, 1993.
CONFERENCE PANELS AND PAPERS
- “Photovoltaics as Public Space: Solar Infrastructures in the Post-Fukushima Era”. Invited Paper for Photovoltaics, Forms, Landscapes parallel event, 27th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition (EU-PVSEC), Frankfurt. September 25, 2012.
- “Japan’s Role in Shaping China’s New Urban Spaces”. Part of panel entitled Japanese Cities in Global Networks. Association of American Geographers (AAG) Conference. New York. February 25, 2012.
- “The Archipelagic Imagination: Rethinking Site and Audience in the Inland Sea.” Invited Paper. Sites of Spectacle and Encounter: Animated Spaces, Mediated Cities, Curated Islands. Image-Site-Audience Project – Final Symposium. Sophia University, Tokyo. February 3, 2012
- “Youth, Age and Urban Space in Contemporary Tokyo.” Invited Speaker. New Urban Imaginaries Workshop – Shanghai. University of Heidelberg, Centre for Transcultural Studies COE: “Asia and Europe in a Global Context.” Shanghai, China. September 9, 2011.
- “Producing Places and Consuming Sites at the Echigo-Tsumari Art Triennale.” Part of the Urban and Environmental Studies Section entitled Power in Place and Space in 21st Century Japan: Control, Contestation, Transformation. 13th International Conference of the European Association of Japanese Studies (EAJS). Tallinn. August 27, 2011.
- “Travelling Iguanas: Cosmopolitanism in Contemporary Japanese Architecture.” 18th Annual Society of Architectural Historians of Australia & New Zealand (SAHANZ) Conference. Brisbane. July 8, 2011.
- “The Possibilities of an Island: Rebuilding Culture in the Inland Sea.” Part of panel entitled Post-Bubbble Aesthetics in Japan: Counter-Urbanist and Slow Life Philosophies in Japanese Contemporary Art and Architecture. Association of Asian Studies (AAS) Conference 2011. Hawaii. April 1, 2011.
- “Metabolism as Ruin: Constructions of Time in Contemporary Japan.” Japanese Studies Association of Australia (JSAA) Conference 2009. Sydney. July 16, 2009.
- “Railway Urbanism and Public Space.” Refereed Conference Paper. Part of panel The Cultures of Public Space – Reflections on Spaces of Public Interaction in Metropolitan Japan, at The 7th Inter-Asia Cultural Typhoon. Tokyo. July 5, 2009.
- “Contemporary Architecture in Japan.” Paper presented at The 12th International Conference of the European Association of Japanese Studies (EAJS). Lecce. September 23, 2008.
- “Theorising Sakariba.” Paper presented as part of panel (of which I was also the chair) entitled Mobilizing the Urban Experience of Tokyo, at The Tenth Asian Studies Conference Japan (ASCJ), Tokyo. June 24-25, 2006.
- “Trains, Stations, and Urban Public Space in Postwar Tokyo.” Paper presented at The 11th International Conference of the European Association of Japanese Studies (EAJS). Vienna. September 2, 2005.
- “Loyal Dogs and Fountains of Love: The Station Plaza Monument in Twentieth Century Tokyo.” Paper presented as part of panel Tokyo: Planned and Unplanned 1880s-1960s, at The Ninth Asian Studies Conference Japan (ASCJ), Tokyo. June 18, 2005.
- “Plan, Design, or Edit? Considerations on Urban Practice between Architecture and Anthropology.” Paper presented to the Anthropology of Japan in Japan Workshop. Sophia University, Tokyo. November 1-2, 2003.
- “Readings of Tokyo: Representing Megalopolis.” Paper presented at On What Grounds: Society for Architectural Historians of Australia and New Zealand (SAHANZ) Conference. Adelaide, July 1997.